Nothing stays the same for too long. Things get changed and then reversed; they get tweeked and sometimes there is a complete overhaul. Over the years I have seen many changes happen but the program focus remains the same.
I wanted to make you aware of the changes that have been improved and are being implemented by BSA with regards to Advancement.
Attention Scouts – Things are changing -- a little bit forsome; a little more for others. But the program remains the same.
What isn’t changing?
- Current ranks and approach (Tenderfoot to First Class earned concurrently; Star to Eagle Scout earned sequentially)
- Use of merit badge program
What is changing?
- Scout will become a rank
- Service at all ranks (conservation-related at Life)
- Healthy eating/habits requirements
- Some reordering in Tenderfoot to First Class
- Physical fitness at each rank, Tenderfoot to First Class
- Outdoor ethics — Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly
- Weather safety, risk assessment and mitigation
- Duty to God incorporated in requirement to show Scout Spirit.
Who does this effect?
• Boys joining on/after 1/1/2016 MUST use the new requirements.
•Boys who have joined prior to 1/1/2016:
•Who are working on Tenderfoot thru First Class MAY continue to work on the existing require-ments but MUST convert to the new requirements upon attainingFirst Class.
•Who have completed First Class MAY complete the rank they are currentlyworking on in the current requirements but then MUST convert to the newrequirements for subsequent ranks.
• For 2017:
•All Scouts MUST use the new requirements regardless of rank.
More information will be available at themeetings, Eagle Valley District Advancement meetings and at Roundtable.
Yours in Scouting,
Eagle Valley District Advancement Chair